Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Review: My Hometown by Russell Griesmer

25401514
Title: My Hometown
Author: Russell Griesmer
Published: Oct. 1, 2015
Publisher: Capstone Young Readers
Pages: 40
Genre: Children ages 6-9
Review: ebook provided by the publisher and NetGalley







Every town has a story. Experience small-town life and American history with this nearly wordless picture book. A magical newspaper takes a young boy on a journey through the history of a beloved hometown, from the 1860s to present day. Striking illustrations celebrate main-street Americana as the boy discovers the past and its importance.


We received this book from NetGalley to give an honest review.

When I saw this book I figured K would probably enjoy it, it is wordless but I thought maybe K and I could make up what was going on as we looked on. K did not enjoy it, he asked why there were no words and he likes books with words that he can see. He liked the pictures but he just didn't like the book it was in his words boring and this is coming from an 8 year old.
This picture book starts off with a magic newspaper and takes a young boy and us readers on a journey through time. 
I for one enjoy books with words so I was kind of reluctant  to request this book, but I did and I could see a story forming within my mind so it was good. I enjoyed seeing a town go through the years of becoming a town starting I want to say in the 1800's maybe. Though I think the author could have put in the story somewhere what year it was as we see the town grow and expand and become the hometown it is today. 

I would think this would be a good book for those that enjoy just looking at pictures and can make up a story with no problem, also it may be good for those that like to see how a town as evolved after many years. I was going to go with two stars but I think I am going to bump it up the three. 





2 comments:

  1. I do not think this would be a very successful "e-book" (I have the hardcover) because I think its important to be able to flip from the discussion/questions back and forth through the pages, and perhaps some meaning would be somewhat lost in a digital edition.
    Beautifully illustrated, and an innovative tool for learning.

    As you mentioned, the story itself is "wordless" however, refer to the timeline with conversation and discussion questions, and "imagine & explain" notes on the final pages first to unlock the true meaning of the book. Perhaps, these should have been listed in the first pages, but it gives you the opportunity to look through the book first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They for sure should have those listed in the first pages. It might be better. Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete