Pages

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Book Review: Spider and the Fly by Mary Howitt and Tony DiTerlizzi

601598
"'Will you walk into my parlor,' said the Spider to the Fly..."
is easily one of the most recognized and quoted first lines in all of English verse. But do you have any idea how the age-old tale of the Spider and the Fly ends? Join celebrated artist Tony DiTerlizzi as he -- drawing inspiration from one of his loves, the classic Hollywood horror movies of the 1920s and 1930s -- shines a cinematic spotlight on Mary Howitt's warning, written to her own children about those who use sweet words to hide their not-so-sweet intentions.


K picked this book up from his school library and I was impressed. 

First this was a bit above his reading level to truly understand some of the words and their meanings. But we both enjoyed the story none the less.This is a book that I believe I need to keep a copy on my bookshelf, it is dark and I liked that.
I liked how there were not words that K knew and he was willing to learn the definition  of some of the words. I think that this is a good way to build up some new words in a child's vocabulary if they need it. There weren't many but just a few. 
K asked me about why there was no color and I had no response as to really why. The only thing I could come up with is it is more scary and goes perfect with the telling of the Spider and the Fly. 
I would say maybe the younger kids might be scared of the pictures and the tone of the story but it would be up to you to decide that. K is 8 and wasn't scare he actually enjoyed it a lot more than I expected him to. 







No comments:

Post a Comment