Pages

Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Review: The Ifs by J.D. Pooker

17838989
Fantasy Adventure for ages 8 and up.
Landon and Broden are brothers. Sometimes they get along. Well, sometimes they don't. But when they find out who's behind the weird happenings in their house, they are called to battle.

Battle? Whoa. Not just one of their fun play-battles either, but a real battle in the forest with the most unusual of creatures and the wildest of animals. Can the brothers pull together when they need each other most?
THE IFS by J.D. Pooker, cover art by Frank Walls, graphic design by David G. Barnett, published by Little Devil Books.

We received this book to give an honest review.

With K being 8 I have decided to introduce him to chapter books that do not have pictures I want him to know there is different books out there than just picture stories. 
So after I read the blurb of The Ifs I figured K would really enjoy the story. We got 30% into the book and K asked me if there was something else to read so I ended up finishing the book myself. It just was not holding K's interest like I thought. 
A majority of the book you read about the two brothers Landon and Broden and how they are always fighting it seems. We really don't hear much about the Ifs until much later. We do read about little things that happen but nothing that tells us about the Ifs or who they are until the boys end up glancing at one. 
Now the two brothers learn there is a way to capture an If, that is if they want to. And when they do they learn that there are villages of If's and this particular If needs Landon and Broden's help. But not all Ifs are friendly some are mean and Landon and Broden find themselves trying to help the Ifs that need their help but will they be able to?
The way the brothers are written and how they act seemed real enough for me. Especially with the fighting they seemed to do. But I did feel them to be lacking as far as their adventures into finding the Ifs. I would have wanted more of a task into finding them or at least something with more adventure. 

Overall a good book one that is good for middle age children to read.





No comments:

Post a Comment